The Welsh Language Standards
The previous statutory Welsh Language Scheme, approved under the Welsh Language Act 1993, has been replaced by the requirements of the Welsh Language Standards.
The Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011 sets out to modernise the legal framework regarding the use of the Welsh language in the delivery of public services. In September 2015, Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council was issued with a Compliance Notice (see below link), which sets out a requirement to implement 171 of the 176 Welsh Language Standards.
The aim of the Welsh Language Standards is to:
- Improve the services Welsh-speakers can expect to receive from specified organisations in Welsh;
- Increase the use people make of Welsh-language services;
- Make it clear to organisations what they need to do in terms of the Welsh language; and
- Ensure that there is an appropriate degree of consistency in terms of the duties placed on bodies in the same sectors.
Under Standards 158, 164 and 170 Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council has a duty to produce a Welsh Language Monitoring Report in Welsh (see below link). We are proud to present our Annual Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2020-21 which concentrates on the progress made by the Council with regards to compliance with the Standards..
Under Standard 145, the Council must produce and publish a five year Welsh Language Promotion Strategy (see below link) that sets out how it proposes to promote the Welsh language and to facilitate the use of the Welsh language more widely in Blaenau Gwent.
- Welsh Language Annual Report 2021-2022
- Welsh language standard (Supplementary matters July 21)
- Annual Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2020-2021
- Annual Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2019-2020
- Annual Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2018/19
- Annual Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2017/18
- Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2016 - 17
- Welsh Language Monitoring Report - 2015-16
- Welsh Language Promotion Strategy 2017-2022
- Welsh Language Compliance Standard Notice
- Policy on Awarding Grants at Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council