Exiting the EU

Exiting the EU

We don’t yet know what the exact impact of leaving the EU with or without a deal will have on local residents, businesses and the wider community in Blaenau Gwent.

The Welsh Government’s Preparing Wales for Brexit website contains information and advice for individuals, businesses and organisations covering a variety of areas, including education, health and social services, environment and agriculture, business and the economy.

Preparing for Brexit

We are working closely with Welsh Government, the Welsh Local Government Association, neighbouring authorities and other organisations to ensure we are aware of the most up-to-date developments and put in place plans for prepare for all Brexit scenarios and protect the smooth running of our key services.


If you are a business owner or are responsible for Brexit planning at your place of work, the Business Wales Brexit Portal sets out the steps you should take to prepare your business for the potential impact of exiting the EU without a deal

You can also find some more general information about how businesses could be affected as the UK leaves the EU here: https://gov.wales/preparing-wales-brexit/business-and-economy

If you are a business who may need to obtain Export Health Certificates for exporting consignments of food and animal product to the EU in a No Deal scenario, more information can be found here:-

EU Citizens

If you are an EU citizen without British citizenship living in the UK, you and your family member(s) will need to make an application to the EU Settlement Scheme to secure Settled Status (if you’ve already been resident in the UK for 5 or more years) or Pre-Settled Status (if you arrived in the UK less than 5 years ago).

EU citizens will have until 31st December 2020 to apply.

For EU citizens or business owners who employ and recruit from the EU, the Home Office have published some helpful advice on the EU Settlement Scheme:-

Welsh Government has also launched an Immigration Advice Service specifically for the EU Settlement Scheme. For more info, visit http://www.eusswales.com

There is an EU Settlement Scheme Resolution Centre helpline if you need help or information about settlement scheme applications:-

Telephone: 0300 123 7379
Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays): 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday: 9:30am to 4:30pm

For information materials provided in 26 EU languages, including Welsh, please visit https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/eu-settlement-scheme-translated-information-materials

Travelling Abroad

The UK Government has published advice for UK citizens planning to travel to the EU after Brexit, including information about passports, travel advice, pet passports and mobile roaming fees.

For more information, please visit https://beta.gov.wales/brexit