How To Recycle Correctly
We’re here to make sure you’ve got everything you need to recycle correctly. Don’t forget all recycling is collected every week, find out when your weekly collection is : https://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/en/resident/waste-recycling/find-your-bin-collection-day/
Harder to recycle products
Terracycle is an innovative recycling company that focuses on recycling typically hard-to-recycle waste.
It offers a number of free programmes to help with recycling solutions.
For further information visit: https://www.terracycle.com/en-GB/brigades
What we cannot currently collect on your weekly recycling
Unfortunately we cannot accept everything from your house on the recycling vehicles as there is either no facilitates to recycle these at the moment; or the vehicle is not equipped to take such items. So to save having an ‘whoops’ in you recycling box/bag and making sure your utilising your recycling capacity at full potential each week; here is a list of examples that we cannot currently take, and ideas of what to do with them:
- Plastic film/stretch plastic/sticky back plastic
- Arts and crafts; sequins, wire, lollipop sticks, pompoms, glitter, decorative buttons, foam stickers (please try and reuse where possible- or if excess items pass onto someone who could make use of them)
- Plastic straws, cutlery and utensils (these could be washed and reused)
- Large plastics such as watering cans, outside garden furniture (please donate these for reuse or recycle them at the household waste and recycling centre)
- Broken glass
- Crisps packets (look out for areas that do accept these- some charities have started to collect)
- Sweet and biscuit wrappers (please place in black bin/bags)
- Metallic gift wrapping paper (potentially they can be reused a few times or place in black bin/bag if not)
- Large metals such as door handles, frying pans, saucepans (please donate for reuse where possible or take these to our household waste and recycling centre)
- Dirty/shredded/soiled/soaking wet textiles and material offcuts (please place in black bag/bin as textiles are reused and unfortunately we cannot pass these types of textiles on)
- Duvets and pillows (animal bedding)
- Please note we will not collect any container recycling in blue and clear bags that were used on the previous recycling service as they disrupt the baling machinery in which the recycling is processed (please only use bags to keep textiles/clothing dry)
Please check this list on a regular basis as new markets appear some items may in future be able to be recycled.
Name of Team: Waste & Recycling
Contact us Via My Council Services
Telephone Number: 01495 311556