Overpayments usually occur because a change in your circumstances was not reported at the time that it happened.

We will send you a letter to tell you that you have been overpaid which will explain the reason why it happened, the period it covers and the amount that you need to repay back.

If you cannot afford to repay the overpayment in one payment then decide how much you think you can pay us each week and call 01495 311556, e-mail us on benefits@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk, complete the online enquiry form. You can also write to us.

If your offer is reasonable, we may be able to agree the repayments immediately. However, if we cannot, we may ask you to complete an income and expenditure form. 

The overpayment can be repaid by us deducting a weekly amount from any Housing Benefit you are still entitled to. If that is what happens, we will send you a letter to explain how much is being recovered every week. You must pay the amount deducted to your landlord plus any rent you already pay to make sure you do not fall into rent arrears. 

If we cannot recover the debt by that method over a reasonable period, then we will send you an invoice asking for repayment.

There are a number of ways you can pay us if we send you a bill.

  • Use the council's automated telephone payment system – 08456042635 please have your invoice number and debit or credit card details to hand**

  • To speak to someone and make a payment using most debit or credit cards please telephone us on 01495 311556**
  • By post: Housing Benefit Section, The General Offices, Steelworks Road, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6DN

  • By standing order. Please contact your bank or use internet banking. Our Bank Account details are Sort Code 20-56-64 and Account Number 60363324. Please use your invoice number as your reference.

  • By direct debit. Please print off the direct debit form below and return to the Overpayments Team at the above address.

  • By paying cash using a PayPoint card at any Post Office or PayPoint outlet. These can be requested from the Benefits section. 

Direct Earnings Attachment (DEA)

Using this method, employers are required to make deductions from the salary of their employees and the amounts deducted are then paid over to us to reduce or clear the debt 

Court Action  

Any overpayments that are not recovered may be subject to court proceedings which will incur further costs. We can then recover by either: 

  • Warrant of execution
  • Attachment of earnings
  • 3rd party deductions 

Related Documents

Contact Information

Name of Team: Housing Benefits

Telephone : 01495 311556

Email: benefits@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk