Annual canvas

The annual canvass is designed to obtain the name and address of every person who is eligible to be on the register of electors – the list of those people who may vote at elections and referendums. The register is the basis of UK democracy and the accuracy of the register is extremely important. In Wales you can now register to vote from 14 and vote at 16. Foreign nationals are also able to vote in Welsh elections.

Electors we already have on our register will be compared against data held by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). This will help us to find the properties where residents may have changed. This information will also help us to decide what correspondence will be sent to the property.

16 and 17 year olds are able to vote in Senedd elections and local government elections and by-elections. This means that we now have to register 14 and 15 year olds. If you have anyone living at your property that is aged 14 or older, they can now be added to the electoral register so that when they turn 16 they are able to vote at these elections.

All foreign nationals (that are legally living in Wales) are now also able to vote in Senedd elections, Local Government elections and by-elections. Previously it has only been British, Irish, Commonwealth or EU citizens. This means if you are from a country other than these you can now vote at these elections.

From 15 August 2022 we will start to deliver the canvass forms. If we already hold your data you will receive a Canvass Communication A (CCA), if all details are correct you do not need to do anything further, if there are changes you must respond.

If we do not hold your data or we suspect a change, we will send you Canvass Communication B (CCB). This form does require a response which can be online, over the telephone or by returning the completed form.

How to respond to Canvass Communication A

If the pre-printed details on the CCA are correct (e.g. no one has moved into or out of the property and there are no changes to the form they have received), you do not need to do anything further.


How to respond to Canvass Communication B

If the pre-printed details on the CCB are correct (e.g. no one has moved into or out of the property and there are no changes to the form they have received), you can ring 0808 284 1565 key in your security code and password when prompted to do so and confirm that the form is correct. You can also go online to confirm that the details are correct. This should take you no longer than 3 minutes to do. Alternatively, you can fill in the paper form and return it to us.

Communication B means that we do not have the relevant information on your household to data match you. Therefore, it is required by law that you respond to the canvass form. You will need to include anyone in your property aged 14+.

How do I complete the form?

Completing the form only takes a few minutes. You need to include the name and nationality of everyone aged 14 or over who is a resident and eligible to register to vote. If there are no eligible residents, you should state why this is the case. If anyone listed on the form is not living at your address, their name/s should be clearly crossed through.

What happens once I have responded?

Once we have received the information we will check it against the electoral register. If there are any additions, deletions or amendments this will be updated on the electoral register.

If you have added someone to the property they will be sent an Invitation to Register form or they can register to vote online at They will need their date of birth and national insurance number to register. 

If you tell us someone has moved away, we will send that person a letter so that we have confirmation that they have moved away. This is because we're required to have two pieces of evidence to remove someone from the electoral register.

What if I do not respond?

If you do not respond to the communication or the reminder when you have been asked to, you may get a phone call from our office or a canvasser (an officer from the council) may visit your property to confirm with you in person.

Are my details secure if I complete the form online?

If you complete your form online, your information will be stored securely. The online registration service has been independently accredited and tested for security. It was developed to meet best practice guidelines for data security.

Changes outside of the Annual Canvass 

If your circumstances change after the annual canvass, such as moving home or changing your name, you will need to re-register. 

Every person eligible to vote at the property will need to register individually. 

The open register 

There are two registers. Why? 

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register). 

The electoral register 

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections.  The register used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote.  It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as: 

  • detecting crime (e.g. fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications 

The open register 

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections.  It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.  Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed.  Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote. 

Find out more information about both registers and how they may be used at Register to Vote.

Contact Information

Electoral Services

Telephone Number:      01495 355088

Address:            The General Offices, Steelworks Road, Ebbw Vale NP23 6DN

Email Address: