Performing Animal Registration

If you exhibit or train performing animals in England, Wales or Scotland, you must be registered with the Council.

Who can apply?

Any person who exhibits or trains performing animals.

Applications must contain details about the animals and the general nature of the performances. A fee, determined by the Council, will be payable on application.

What legislation governs this application?

A summary of the regulations relating to this licence

How is my application processed?

A registration certificate is provided by the Council and the details of the registration are entered on a public register.

Do I have to pay an application fee?

Yes. Please see Fees & Charges.

How long will it take to process my application and will implied consent apply?

Your application will take seven days to process and yes implied consent will apply. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Council after the seven day target completion period.

Apply online

Can I appeal if my application is unsuccessful?

There is no appeal process as your registration shall be granted unless you have been prohibited from being so registered by an Order of the Court. For more information in relation to refused applications please contact the Environmental Health section.

Consumer Complaint

Should you wish to make a complaint please contact the Environmental Health section.

Public Register

Find more information about viewing public registers.

Trade Associations

The International Marine Animal Trainers’ Association
The Association of Circus Proprietors of Great Britain

Contact Information

Public Protection
The General Offices
Steelworks Road
Ebbw Vale
NP23 6AA

Telephone:  01495 357813
Fax: 01495 355834

Email :