Insurance Claims Against the Council

Our Insurance team co-ordinates the handling of all insurance claims made by or against the Council. If you have been injured or your property has been damaged and you believe the Council has been negligent you can make a claim for compensation.

Making a claim does not mean you will have compensation because the Council is not always to blame. Sometimes events occur that are unfortunate, but no one is at fault. The law will decide if you are due compensation for your loss, damage or injury.

How to make a claim?

Step 1:  you must report the incident to Highways

Report your incident to Highways

Step 2: you can then make your claim

To complete the claim form you will need to make detailed notes of the following if applicable:

  • A summary of the facts on which you are basing the claim
  • Recording the time and date of incident
  • Noting the weather conditions
  • The road name and detailed description of location including landmarks and distinguishing features
  • Keep any receipts for losses incurred from the incident
  • Noting any past or future hospital or GP visits for personal injury claims
  • Recording the full details of any witnesses
  • Police incident number
  • Photos – see guidance

How do I make a claim?

Start your Insurance Claim

Other ways to claim

Make a claim at your Local Hub.

What should I expect?

  • Your completed claim form is received by us
  • Your claim will be prepared and passed to the Claims Handlers Gallagher Bassett
  • You will receive acknowledgement of your claim within 21 days
  • You will be given a timescale to reach a decision
  • You will receive a reference number and contact details for your Claims Handler
  • Gallagher Bassett may contact you for further information
  • You will receive your decision in writing
  • A decision is usually reached in 90 days and starts from the date of acknowledgement

How do I provide photographic evidence?

You will need to upload or provide your photos with your application form. To prevent delays with your claim please see the following advice:

  • Photos must show the defect including the surrounding location and any distinguishing landmarks
  • If it is safe to do so a photograph of the alleged defect responsible for the incident.
  • If it is safe to do so you can show the size of the defect by placing a coin in it
  • Photographs of the damage
  • The date the photo was taken or dated photos
  • If the defect is already repaired you can still submit a photo, this will help us to identify the exact location


Any claim found to have been fraudulently stated or exaggerated, at any point of the claim may be passed to the Police or Crown Prosecution Service and may be subject to a criminal prosecution.