Assessment for Community Care Services

Who can receive help and support for community care services?

Help and support may be available to people who:

  • have a disability or sensory impairment
  • are chronically sick or terminally ill
  • misuse drugs or alcohol
  • are over 65 with any of the above

How to get help

There are three important stages:

  1.       Social Services should be contacted

You can do this yourself, or ask someone to do it on your behalf. You can telephone, email or write to us.

It will help us to help you, if whoever contacts us, can give as much relevant information as possible about you and your needs for help and support. This is important as it helps us work out if we can help you, or if other agencies would be more helpful.

  1.        An assessment of your needs for care, support or assistance will be carried out 

The aims of this assessment are:

  • to identify your needs for care
  • to agree the needs of your carer(s), where appropriate
  • to identify how we can help you be as independent as possible
  • to assess whether you are eligible for services (see “Eligibility Criteria & The Appeals Procedure” leaflet)

This assessment has to take place before we can arrange any support for you. We will of course listen to and take your views into account. It may be possible for one person, such as a Care Manager or Community Occupational Therapist to assess your needs at one meeting with you. However, it may be necessary, and in your own interests, to have contributions to the assessment from a number of other people, e.g. doctor, physiotherapist, carers. We would always seek your consent before contacting anyone else. Assessment is not just about identifying the problems! We will aim to look at what the positive aspects of your situation are, as well as the difficulties you are currently having. When we have reached an understanding of your needs, then together we can decide how your needs will be met.

  1.         A package of support agreed and arranged

This may or may not involve us arranging for services to be provided

With you we will draw up a written Care Plan:

  • when it is agreed that you will receive care organised by, or through Social Services, this may include actual services, or money through the Direct Payments scheme to enable you to purchase your own care (see the Direct Payments leaflets for further information);
  • in circumstances where a complex “package of care” services is required, which could involve other agencies. 

Will I have a copy of my assessment, or any other documents about me?

Where an assessment document or care plan is completed you are entitled to receive a copy.

I know what my needs are, why does someone else need to assess them?

You will know most about yourself, but we can advise you whether:

  • your individual needs make you eligible for care services provided by or through Social Services
  • another source of help, of which you are unaware, may be available
  • another agency, and not Social Services, is better placed to meet your needs. What can I do if I am dissatisfied with the outcome of the assessment? l Our aim is to work in partnership with you, and reach agreement with you about your needs. l However, if there is disagreement and you wish to complain, you have the right to do so. l We have a complaints leaflet which explains how to do this

Contact Information

For information, advice or assistance, to make a referral or report concerns in relation to:

  • a person aged 18 or over, please contact the Adult Services IAA Hub
  • a child or young person, please contact the Children’s Services IAA Hub

Telephone: 01495 315700
Email :
Fax: 01495 353350

For general information enquiries:
Email :

Social Services Directorate
Anvil Court
Church Street
NP13 1DB

Telephone: 01495 354680
Fax: 01495 355285