Council Tax Band

Council Tax Valuation Bands

Council Tax is paid per dwelling, and the amount you pay will depend which band your dwelling has been placed. This was calculated using its open market capital value at 1st April 2003:  

Council Tax Valuation Bands

Valuation Band

 Range of Values

Valuation Band

 Range of Values


 under £44,000


 £123,001 - £162,000


 £44,001 - £65,000


 £162,001 - £223,000


 £65,001 - £91,000


 £223,001 - £324,000


 £91,001 - £123,000


 £324,001 - £424,000




 £424001 and above

Your Council Tax Bill states which band applies to your dwelling. Check your Council Tax band


The grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following cases:

  • where you believe there has been a material increase or material reduction in the dwelling's value
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer
  • where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time. (Your appeal must be made within six months, but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again.

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering, or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay council tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because your property is exempt; or that the Council has made a mistake in calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify the Council in writing so that we have the opportunity to reconsider the case.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Further details of the appeal procedures (including the role of Valuation Tribunals) may be obtained from the Civic Centre, or the

Valuation Office Agency
Crown Buildings,
11 Chepstow Road,
NP19 8WA

Telephone 03000 505505

Contact Information

For further information please contact:

The Council Tax Section
By telephone - (01495) 355212
By fax - (01495) 356132
By post - Council Tax Section, The General Offices, Steelworks Road, Ebbw Vale, Gwent NP23 6DN
Email :