Supporting people and housing related support

Housing Support Grant

If you live in Blaenau Gwent and are aged over 16 years old and are struggling to keep your home, at risk of losing your job, need to move or need help managing your finances – the Supporting People Team could offer you support.  There is no cost for our service.

For more information, please visit or contact the Housing Support Grant Team on 01495 354681,354683 or email

Council Tax Reduction

If you are on a low income or receiving certain benefits and are liable to pay council tax, you may be eligible to Council Tax Reduction. Please click here to find out more

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you are unemployed, on a low income or claiming Benefits. It is being replaced by Universal Credit.

You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply:

  • You have reached State Pension age
  • You are living in supported, sheltered or temporary Housing

Please click here to find out more

Discretionary Housing Payment

If you are receiving Housing benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit, but are finding it hard to pay your rent, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

To find out more and check if you may be eligible for support, please visit

Further Support and Advice

Blaenau Gwent Community Hubs

The hubs are located centrally in local libraries managed by Aneurin Leisure Trust and provide advice and information on a range of Council services.

For venue dates and times please visit

Citizens Advice Bureau Citizens Advice Caerphilly Blaenau Gwent - Cyngor ar Bopeth Caerffili Blaenau Gwent (



Shelter Cymru Shelter Cymru - Home is everything