Giving Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership

The Welsh Parliament has published its own recovery document

This document uses a traffic light system. Within the “relaxing and special occasions” category, it states that “weddings and other events with limited capacity and physical distancing” are in the amber section.

We do not know when we will move into the amber section and when we do, we do not know:

  • The Locations where ceremonies will be permitted
  • How many guests this will include
  • If there will be any other restrictions or conditions
  • When we will be able to take legal Notices of Marriage

We are not as yet able to provide advice on any of these aspects until we receive further information from The Welsh Government. We sincerely apologise for the uncertainty and we will update our webpage as soon as we have further information.

Last Updated 12.22pm | 03.06.2020

Before you get married or register your civil partnership, you must both give notice in person at your local Register Office, regardless of where you are holding your ceremony. If you live in Blaenau Gwent, please call 01495 353374 to book an appointment.

Where do I go for the appointment?

You can attend the Register Office to give notice of marriage or civil partnership. Find parking details and register office opening times.

When do we have to give notice?

You will need to have lived in Blaenau Gwent for at least 8 days before you can give notice. After you have both given notice, you must wait at least 28 days before your ceremony can take place. During busy periods there may be 2 to 4 weeks wait for an appointment so please ensure that you allow plenty of time.

How long is our notice valid for?

A notice is valid for 1 year, so you can only give your notice up to 1 year before your ceremony.

Documents you will need to bring with you when giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

When you make an appointment to give notice, the registrar will explain what documents you will need to bring. These documents are legally prescribed so often other documents will not be acceptable. You may not be able to give legal notice unless you can provide the required documents so this must be discussed with the Superintendent Registrar before you attend the register office. Documents required:

  • Passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Deed poll
  • Decree absolute (original not photocopy)
  • Driving license
  • Proof of address (utility bill)
  • Council Tax bill

How much does it cost?

You will need to pay the notice fee of £35.00 per person