Housing benefit appeals

If you disagree with the decision we have made in relation to Housing Benefit you are entitled to appeal.

The person who re-assesses your claim will be different to the person who made the original decision. 

You must tell us why you think the decision is incorrect within one month of the date the decision letter was sent.

You can ask for the following to be done: 

  • to look at the decision again
  • to explain the decision
  • to appeal to an Independent Tribunal 

Appeals Service Website - Gov.Uk

If the decision can be changed we will send you a letter explaining the new decision. If you do not agree with this then you can ask us to look at it again.

If the decision cannot be changed we will send you a letter explaining why.

If you are outside the one month time limit you can make a late request for an appeal. The maximum time limit for a late appeal is 13 months from the date of the decision.

You will need to explain why it is reasonable to grant your request and why your case has merit. Please include details of any special circumstances that prevented you from submitting your appeal sooner.

It is important to stress that there is no guarantee that appeals submitted outside of the one month time limit will be accepted.

If you would like to appeal against a Council Tax Reduction decision this needs to be directed to firstly to the Council in writing, and then to the Valuation Tribunal. Detailed information regarding this process can be found on the Valuation Tribunals website:


Contact Information

Name of Team: Housing Benefits

Telephone : 01495 311556

Email: benefits@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk