Councillor's Allowances & Expenses

This page shows the expenses and allowances claimed by Blaenau Gwent County Borough Councillors and co-opted Members. The amounts that Councillors are entitled to is regulated by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales. 
All councillors are entitled to claim the "basic allowance" to reflect the work that they do as local representatives. 

In addition, the Council decides that some posts for example the Leader, Cabinet members, Scrutiny/other Committee Chairs (such as Planning and Licensing) and Vice Chairs, have special responsibilities over and above other councillors. These posts entitle councillors to claim "Special Responsibility Allowances". The Mayor and Deputy Mayor are also paid an allowance for their civic duties. A care allowance is also available to those with dependents. 

Travel expenses are claimed by councillors to cover their costs when they are travelling away from home or Blaenau Gwent CBC premises on council business (for example if they attend committee meetings).
Other expenses may be claimed to cover the costs incurred of (for example) refreshments which are necessary as a result of their council business.
Blaenau Gwent CBC publishes all the expenses claimed by councillors. The Council's Scheme of Members' Remuneration sets out the allowances and expenses which may be claimed. The Scheme complies with all relevant legislation and the recommendations on allowances in reports published by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales.

A number of Blaenau Gwent County Borough Councillors are also compensated financially for the work they undertake representing the Council on other public organisations.

Councillors’ salaries and allowances are decided by the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales.

Previous Years Information