Street Collection Permit

What is a Street Collection permit?

A charity, organisation or individual wishing to carry out a charitable collection for money or property or sell articles for sale for the benefit of charitable purposes in a street or public place requires a street collection permit.  However, a permit is not required for sponsored events or where a collection box is left at a business premises, e.g. shop, public house, for collection at a later date.

What legislation controls street collections?

The Police, Factories (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916 controls street collection permits.  Follow this link to see the act.

Who can apply?

Anyone over the age of 16 years can apply however the applicant must prove that he/she is a fit and proper person. 

What is the application process?

Prior to making an application, you should check the availability of the proposed date of the collection with the Licensing Team.  The appropriate application form must be submitted to the Council, together with written authorisation from the charity involved.  In addition, the applicant may be required to submit further information to support the application, i.e. copies of accounts of other collections.

If the application is approved, collections of money must be made in sealed containers and within one month of the date of the collection, the promoter of the collection must submit a return, to the Council, stating the amount of money or value of property collected.

Can I apply online?

Apply for a Street Collection Permit

You can also:-

Submit a street collection permit return  

How much does it cost?

There is no fee payable.

How long will it take to process my application and will tacit consent apply?

The Council will deal with your application as soon as possible however if you have not heard within 14 days of submitting your application, you should contact the Council.  Tacit consent does not apply i.e. you should not assume that your application has been granted if you have not heard from the Council within 14 days.

Can I appeal if my application is refused?

You can appeal to the Minister for the Cabinet Office within 14 days if your application is refused.

Consumer complaints

If you have a complaint regarding a charitable collection, you should contact the Council’s Licensing Team on 01495 355485.