Business Rates Reductions
High Street Relief 2018/19
On the 13th December 2017, the Welsh Assembly announced that the High Street Relief Scheme would be extended for 2018-2019. Details of the announcement are on the link below:
Small Business Rate Relief 2018
The Welsh Government has introduced a permanent small business rate relief scheme in Wales from 1 April 2018. Please see the attached link announcing the scheme.
Empty of Partly occupied properties/Exempt Properties
RATES RELIEF FOR EMPTY PROPERTIES
Empty business properties are exempt from paying business rates for 3 months after the property becomes vacant. There are additional exemptions for certain types of properties under a set rateable value. These include:
- industrial premises, such as warehouses, which are exempt for a further 3 months
- listed buildings which are exempt until they become occupied again
- buildings with a rateable value under £2,600 which are exempt until they become occupied again
- properties owned by charities, which are exempt if the property's next use is likely to be wholly or mainly for charitable purposes
- community amateur sports club buildings which are exempt if their next use is likely to be wholly or mainly for a sports club
- a business whose owner is a company which is subject to a winding-up order made under the Insolvency Act 1986 or which is being wound up voluntarily under that Act
- a business whose owner is a company in administration within the meaning of paragraph 1 of Schedule B1 to the Insolvency Act 1986 or is subject to an administration order made under the former administration provisions within the meaning of article 3 of the Enterprise Act 2002 (Commencement No. 4 and Transitional Provisions and Savings) Order 2003.
- a business whose owner is entitled to possession only in his or her capacity as the personal representative of a deceased person.
After the exemption period ends, you will be liable for the full business rate bill.
You should notify your local authority when your property becomes vacant and also when it becomes re-occupied.
RATE RELIEF FOR PART OCCUPIED PROPERTIES (SECTION 44A)
Where it appears to the authority that part of a property is unoccupied and will remain so for a short period, then the authority can ask the Valuation Office for an apportionment of the rateable value and therefore charge rates on the occupied part. It should be noted that the unoccupied part may still be liable to an empty rate charge.
If you require any further informaiton please do not hesitate to contact the Business Rate Section on 01495 355212
If you require any further information about rate relief for small businesses, please contact us.
The Business Rates Section
Telephone Number: 01495 355212
Address: Business Rates Section, Municipal Buildings, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, Gwent NP23 6XB
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org