Do I Need Planning Permission?

You may need planning permission if you want to construct a new building or undertake other building or engineering works on your property. You may also need planning permission if you change the way the building or land is used. 

You will usually need planning permission or a related approval to: 

  • Construct a new building
  • Extend or alter an existing building
  • Make changes to the way a building is used, for example turning a house into flats or making a shop into a home
  • Undertake engineering work or other work, such as earthworks, or erection of retaining wall
  • Demolish a building or structure
  • Carry out work on a Listed Building
  • Carry out work in a Conservation Area
  • Carry out works on protected trees or trees in a conservation area
  • Build new agricultural buildings 

The Planning Portal website has more information to help you find out what type of planning permission you need. Make sure you have selected the Welsh version on the top right of the page so that the information and regulations are applicable for Wales. 

The Planning Portal also has an interactive diagram of a house to give planning advice on various parts of your property, such as changing windows, building a garage and extensions. 

Permitted development – where you don’t need planning permission 

There are some minor improvements, alterations and extensions you can make to your house that you don’t need planning permission for. These are called permitted developments. These can include construction of some types of porch, conservatories under a certain size and also some internal changes.

You can get more advice about permitted developments rights from the Welsh Government website or from the Planning Portal website

Other ways to check if you need planning permission 

If you are unsure if you need planning permission, you can:

  • Get advice from planning consultants
  • Check guidance on Welsh Government  and Planning Portal websites
  • Obtain pre-application advice from the Local Planning Authority 

Contact Information

Development Management 
Telephone Number:(01495) 364847
Address:  General Offices, Steelworks Road, Ebbw Vale, Gwent, NP23 6DN
Email Address: