Occupational Therapy

Role of the community occupational therapist

Community Occupational Therapists are here to work with you, to help you be as independent as possible, for as long as possible.

We are able to:

  • Give advice on everyday activities such as dressing, getting in and out of the bath, getting in and out of a chair, etc.
  • Provide practical assistance and advice to carers, to enable them to continue caring for individuals safely, within their own home environment.

In order to help you be as independent as possible, when appropriate, we will work with others, e.g. Health Professionals, Housing, Care Agencies and Social Workers.

What do community occupational therapists provide?

We will visit you in your own home and will talk to you, your family and or your carer(s), about how we can help you overcome some of the difficulties you are experiencing.

We will work with you to find out what you can do; how we can help you either get better at the things you find difficult, or have support or equipment that will also help you.

To ensure that you receive a complete assessment of your needs, we may need some information about your medical condition and, with your consent, may need to contact your General Practitioner or Consultant.

We may provide any of the following:

  • Advice and information on alternative methods of carrying out tasks
  • Equipment to be fitted in your home and instruction in its use
  • Support in the form of recommendations to the relevant Housing Department for adaptations to your home (e.g. ramping to allow wheelchair access)

The referral system

Anyone can make a referral to the Community Occupational Therapy Team by contacting the Adult Services Information, Advice and Assistance hub on (01495) 315700.

How long will I wait for an occupational therapy assessment?

In order to manage the high numbers of requests for Occupational Therapy assessments, we will prioritise those requests which have the most complex and urgent need for help.

It is important that the person making the referral gives as much information as possible to the duty officer.  This is to ensure that you receive an appropriate response, within an agreed timescale, according to your needs.

When we receive the request, we will contact you to discuss your difficulties and arrange a visit to you if it is appropriate.

Contact Information

For information, advice and assistance hub, to make a referral or report concerns in relation to:

  • a person aged 18 or over, please contact the Adult Services IAA Hub
  • a child or young person, please contact the Children’s Services IAAHub

Telephone: 01495 315700
Email : DutyTeamAdults@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk
Fax: 01495 353350

For general information enquiries:
Email : info@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

Social Services Directorate
Anvil Court
Church Street
NP13 1DB

Telephone: 01495 354680
Fax: 01495 355285