Pet Shop Licence

To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the Council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops, businesses selling animals over the internet and the keeping of animals with a view to them being sold in the course of such a business.

For further information on what is considered to be a pet animal please contact the Environmental Health section.

Who Can apply?

Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must not have been disqualified:

  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from keeping a riding establishment under the Riding Establishments Act 1964 and 1970
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006

What legislation governs this application?

A summary of the regulations relating to this licence

Do I have to pay an application fee?

Yes. Please see Fees & Charges.

How is my Application processed?

The Council will have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • that animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable as respects size, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
  • that animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food and drink and visited at suitable intervals;
  • that animals, being mammals, will not be sold at too early an age;
  • that all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread among animals of infectious diseases;
  • that appropriate steps will be taken in case of fire or other emergency

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above factors are complied with.

How long will it take to process my application and will implied consent apply?

Your application will take up to two months to process and yes implied consent will apply. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Council by the end of the two month target completion period.

Apply online

Can I appeal if my application is unsuccessful?

Please contact the Environmental Health section in the first instance regarding any returned or refused licence applications.  
Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' Court. Details of rights of appeal can be obtained from the Environmental Health section.
Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' Court; however we would advise that you contact the Environmental Health section in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

Should you wish to make a complaint please contact the Environmental Health section.

Contact Information

Public Protection
The General Offices
Steelworks Road
Ebbw Vale
NP23 6AA

Telephone:  01495 357813
Fax: 01495 355834

Email :