About Social Services

Important Public Notice

To ensure we adhere to changes set out by the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014, Blaenau Gwent Social Services are currently making changes to the information and advice it provides through information leaflets and webpages. If you are unable to find information, advice or guidance for a service please contact the relevant Social Services Information, Advice and Assistance (IAA) hub.

Social Services in Blaenau Gwent support those people who are in need of care and support, including those children and adult at risk and in need of protection and those who need to develop their abilities to live as independent and fulfilled as possible.

Who do Social Services support?

Blaenau Gwent Social Services support:

  • Children and young people under18 and their families.
  • Young people who the Council has looked after up until the age of 24.
  • Adults and Older People with physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health or drug or alcohol related problems.
  • Carers, that is family and friends who look after others.

What support is provided?

Children Services have a legal responsibility to provide a wide range of services to promote the welfare of children and keep them safe.

Adult Services provide a very wide range of help for broad groupings of people with many support and care needs.  Information leaflets are available; view the complete range.

Who do you contact for help from Social Services?

The Council has dedicated Adults and Children's Services Information, Advice and Assistance (IAA) hubs which provide the first point of contact for people who wish to ask for information, advice or assistance or, with their permission, for a relative or friend.  Contact with the hubs can be made in person by phone, letter, fax or e-mail.  These methods are also the first point of contact with Social Services by other agencies, such as Health, Education, Police and Housing.

What information do Social Services need?

When you get in touch with the IAA hubs you will be asked some questions about the circumstances that led to your contact and to find out if Social Services may be able to help.

Some basic information will be needed including your name, address and contact details and if the referral is being made on behalf of somebody else that person’s details will also be required. Anonymous referrals can be taken however additional information may be required to process the referral.

The permission of the person being referred must have been obtained before a referral is made unless there are safeguarding concerns.  Social Services rarely accept referrals without such permission, and if permission has not been obtained, an explanation must be given.

What Happens Next?

The IAA hubs will either provide you with information directly, redirect you to another agency or organisation or on the basis of the information provided, decide whether a proportionate assessment should be completed.

The proportionate assessment will determine what outcomes you wish to achieve and if you are eligible for services. 

Social Services only provide care and support to vulnerable people with particular social care needs and their carers who are eligible for that support.

If you are eligible for care and support your information will be passed to specialist staff within Social Services.

What can I do if things go wrong?

If you are unhappy about any of our services, or about the way you have been treated, you have the right to complain.  If you wish, you may have someone with you to speak on your behalf or to support you.

Further details of how to use the complaints procedure can be found in the Social Services complaints leaflet, or by contacting the Complaints Officer based at the Headquarters office.

Contact Information

For information, advice or assistance, to make a referral or report concerns in relation to:

  • a person aged 18 or over, please contact the Adult Services IAA Hub
  • a child or young person, please contact the Children’s Services IAA Hub

Telephone: 01495 315700
Email Adults Team: DutyTeamAdults@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

Email Children's IAA Team: duty.team@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

Fax: 01495 353350

Social Services Directorate
Anvil Court
Church Street
NP13 1DB