Animal Boarding Establishment Licence

In order to run a boarding kennel or cattery, you are legally required to hold a licence from the Council. The number of dogs and/or cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

Who can apply?

Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must not have been disqualified:

  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
  • from keeping a riding establishment under the Riding Establishments Act 1964 and 1970
  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals under the Animal Welfare Act 2006

What legislation governs this application?

A summary of the regulations relating to this licence

Do I have to pay an application fee?

Yes. Please see Fees & Charges.

How is my application processed?

In determining whether to grant a licence for the keeping of a boarding establishment for animals by any person at any premises, a local authority shall in particular (but without prejudice to their discretion to withhold a licence on other grounds) have regard to the need for securing;

  •  that animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable as respects construction, size of quarters, number of occupants, exercising facilities, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness;
  • that animals will be adequately supplied with suitable food, drink and bedding material, adequately exercised, and (so far as necessary) visited at suitable intervals;
  • that all reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent and control the spread among animals of infectious or contagious diseases, including the provision of adequate isolation facilities;
  • that appropriate steps will be taken for the protection of the animals in case of fire or other emergency;
  • that a register be kept containing a description of any animals received into the establishment, date of arrival and departure, and the name and address of the owner, such register to be available for inspection at all times by an authorised officer of the local authority, veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner

Further details regarding the assessment for criteria may be obtained from the Environmental Health section.

How long will it take to process my application and will implied consent apply?

Your application will take up to four months to process and yes implied consent will apply. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the Council by the end of the four month target completion period.

Apply online

Can I appeal if my application is unsuccessful?

Please contact the Environmental Health section in the first instance regarding any returned or refused licence applications.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' Court. Details of rights of appeal can be obtained from the Environmental Health section.

Any licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition attached to their licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' Court we would advise, however, that you contact the Environmental Health section in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

Should you wish to make a complaint please contact the Environmental Health section.

Contact Information

Frontline Enforcement Team
The General Offices
Steelworks Road
Ebbw Vale
NP23 6AA

Telephone:  01495 369542
Fax: 01495 355834

Email :