Getting help with energy bills

£140 Warm Home Discount

You are eligible if you are in receipt of the Guarantee credit element of Pension Credit or you are on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme.

Winter Fuel Payment

If you were born one or before 25th September 1956 you could get between £250 and £600 to help you pay your heating bills.

If you have received a Winter Fuel payment before, you will not need to claim again.

Cold Weather Payment

You may get Cold Weather Payments if you’re getting certain benefits or Support for Mortgage Interest.

If you’re eligible, you’ll get these payments automatically. You do not need to apply, but you may need to tell Jobcentre Plus if you have a baby or if a child under 5 comes to live with you.

The payments do not affect your other benefits.

You’ll get a payment if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below over 7 consecutive days.

You’ll get £25 for each 7-day period of very cold weather between 1 November 2023 and 31 March 2024.

For more information, please visit

Former Coal Miners £200 Grant

Former coal miners are eligible for a £200 grant to help with rising energy prices.

The grant comes via the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation (CISWO).

To find out more about the grant, contact the Welsh CISWO office by phone on 01443 485233 or by emailing

Energy Supplier Support

Customers in debt to their energy supplier may be able to get help to pay it off. However, many of the energy suppliers require you to first seek advice from a recognised debt advice charity.

The following energy and utility suppliers offer grants to their customers:

  • British Gas Energy Support Fund
  • EDF Energy Customer Fund
  • E.ON Energy Fund
  • E.ON Next Energy Fund
  • Octopus ‘Octo Assist Fund’
  • Ovo Energy Fund
  • Scottish Power Hardship Fund
  • Western Power Distribution Priority Services

For additional help, support and advice please visit Help for Households - Get government cost of living support

Discretionary Assistance Fund

The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grant that you do not need to pay back.

Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP)

  • A grant to help pay for essential costs, such as food, gas, electricity, clothing or emergency travel if you: are experiencing extreme financial hardship
  • have lost your job
  • have applied for benefits and are waiting for your first payment
  • You cannot use it to pay for ongoing bills that you cannot afford to pay.

Individual Assistance Payment (IAP)

  • A grant to help you or someone you care for live independently in their home or a property that you or they are moving into.

What you can use the grant for

  • Use the grant to pay for:
  • a fridge, cooker or washing machine and other ‘white goods’
  • home furniture such as beds, sofas and chairs
  • For further information on eligibility and how to apply please visit

Warm Wales

Support and advice to anyone looking for information or help with home energy queries.

Nest Wales

Nest Wales provides free home energy efficiency improvements such as a new boiler, central heating or insulation to eligible residents. Visit the Home - Nest Wales - or call 0808 808 2244.