Club Premises Certificate

What is a club premises certificate?

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club, you need a club premises certificate from the Council.  In a qualifying club, there is, technically, no sale by retail of alcohol (except to guests) as the member owns part of the alcohol stock and the money passing across the bar is merely a mechanism to preserve equity between members where one may consume more than another.  In order to constitute a qualifying club, you must also satisfy the various requirements set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

A certificate is normally granted indefinitely but can be granted for a fixed term and is subject to review at any time.

What legislation controls club premises certificates?

The Licensing Act 2003

Who can apply?

To be able to apply for a club premises certificate, a club must be able to demonstrate that it meets certain criteria to enable it to become a qualifying club.  The criteria is:-

  • that a person may not be given memberships or as a candidate for membership to any membership privileges without an interval of at least two days from their membership application or nomination and their membership being granted 
  • that club rules state that those becoming member without nomination or application cannot have membership privileges for at least two days between them becoming members and being admitted to the club 
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith 
  • that the club has at least 25 members 
  • that alcohol is only supplied to members on the premises on behalf or by the club

Registered industrial and provident societies and friendly societies will qualify if the alcohol is purchased for and supplied by the club is done under the control of the members or a committee of members.

Relevant miners' welfare institutes can also be considered.  A relevant institute is one that is managed by a committee or board that consists of at least two thirds of people appointed or elevated by one or more licensed operators under the Coal Industry Act 1994 and by one or more organisations who represent coal mine employees.  The institute can be managed by the committee or board where the board cannot be made up as detailed above but is made up of at least two thirds of members who were employed or are employed in or around coal mines and also by people who were appointed by the Coal Industry Welfare Organisation or by a body who had similar functions under the Miners' Welfare Act 1952.  In any case, the premises of the institute must be held on a trust as required under the Recreational Charities Act 1958

What is the application process?

When applying for a club premises certificate, the club secretary must submit:-

  • the appropriate application form including the operating schedule
  • a plan of the premises
  • the relevant fee 
  • a Declaration for a Club Premises Certificate to be Granted
  • a copy of the club rules

The operating schedule should include details of:-

  • the licensable activities
  • the times the activities will take place
  • any other times when the premises will be open to members and guests
  • in the case of a limited certificate, the period for which the certificate is required
  • whether the sale of alcohol is for consumption on or off the premises or both
  • the steps proposed to be taken to promote the licensing objectives

The secretary must send copies of the application to Responsible Authorities.  In addition, he/she must advertise the application by placing a blue notice in the window of the club premises and an advert in the local newspaper.

There will be a 28 day consultation period for new and variation applications during which time, responsible authorities such as Police, Fire, Council departments, and other persons, such as local residents and businesses, Councillors etc., can make representations.

Can I apply online?

Apply for a club premises certificate

You can also:-

Submit a declaration for a club premises

Tell us about a minor variation to your club premises

Tell us about a major change to your club premises

Tell us about a change to your existing details

Tell us about a change to your club rules

Pay your annual fee

How much does it cost?

Fees are based on the rateable value of a property and rateable values are split into 5 bands, A to E.  The fee payable for a certificate is dependant on the band in which a property is placed.  An annual fee will also be charged.

How much does it cost?

 Rateable Value

 0 to £4,300

 £4,301 to £33,000

 £33,001 to £87,000

 £87,001 to £125,000














 Annual Fee












 Minor Vary












N.B.  In the case of premises under construction or not yet built, for which the rateable value has not been determined, Band C fees will be applicable.

How long will it take to process my application and will tacit consent apply?

The consultation period for an application is 28 days.  If no representations are received during this period, then tacit consent will apply.  In other words, the application is deemed granted.  However, if representations are received, then tacit consent does not apply.  The Council must call a hearing, if necessary, to determine the application, within 20 working days after the end of the 28 day consultation period.  The Council must consider all representations and decide if the certificate should be granted as it is in the public interest to fully process an application before granting it.

If you do not hear about your application from the Council within 56 days of submitting it, you can email the Licensing Team.

Can I appeal if my application is refused?

Yes, you can appeal against the Council’s decision to a Magistrates’ Court, within 21 days from being notified of the decision in writing.  You can also appeal if the certificate is granted but you are not happy with the conditions imposed and against the withdrawal of a certificate.

An interested party or responsible authority who made relevant representations to an application can appeal against the Council’s decision to grant the certificate, or any conditions imposed, to the Magistrates’ Court, within 21 days of being notified of the decision.

Consumer complaints

An interested party, a responsible authority or a member of the club can apply to the Council for a review of a club premises certificate and a hearing must be held to determine the application.