Organising an Event
Update on latest Coronavirus (Covid-19) guidance
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council Event Safety Advisory Group (ESAG) will follow Covid-19 regulations and guidance issued by the Welsh Government to advise on events.
Therefore, as Alert Levels change and the easing of restrictions continue over the coming months, Blaenau Gwent ESAG will only support an event which strictly adheres to the guidance at the time of the event.
Prior to completing the Event Notification Form and developing your risk assessments, please take note of the latest information about the Covid-19 regulations and guidance which may be found at: https://gov.wales/topic/980/latest
It is recommended this webpage is checked regularly as the Covid-19 regulations and guidance are subject to frequent change. It is advisable to only submit an application if your proposed event complies with the latest Regulations.
If you choose to organise an event, please note that advice and arrangements may be subject to change depending on the prevailing incidence levels of Covid-19 and changes to Welsh Government guidance and regulations. Therefore, all risks will be held by the event organiser. (Insert Council) cannot take responsibility for any cost or loss involved with the preparation of an event should it be cancelled.
If you are planning to run a small or community event there are certain responsibilities you need to be aware of. You will need to think about who will be attending, the facilities they will need, what kind of activities you will have and any safety requirements.
Who can provide advice?
Blaenau Gwent ESAG (Event Safety Advisory Group) can help people plan and organise successful, safe events for the public within Blaenau Gwent.
The Council works with the Police, Fire and Rescue, Ambulance and others to offer advice and provide assistance to anyone planning an event.
We offer guidance on best practice to ensure the event is safe and meets all legislative, legal and operational requirements.
The Event Safety Advisory Group can offer guidance on:
- How you get started
- What you need to do
- Who to contact for specialist guidance
The main information we need from you is:
- What type of event are you planning
- Where it will take place
- When it will take place, date and time
- Who will be attending
- What numbers will be attending
- What facilities you need for your visitors. This includes toilets, first aid, drinking water and refreshments.
- Is your event for specific groups, such as children, teenagers, older people or people with disabilities?
- Do you need any specific facilities for these groups?
- What do you need to do to manage crowds safely?
- Is the proposed site the appropriate size for your attendance numbers
- Other information may also be requested, depending on the type of event you are planning.
The earlier you can provide us with your event notifications form, the better placed the ESAG will be to help you.
Issues you need to consider:
- Operational plan which will include a site plan and risk assessment
- Emergency plan, health and safety, legislation and litigation
- Road closures, signage, special effects, etc.
- Fire safety, stewarding, medical provision, toilets
- Disabled access, temporary structures
- Emergency vehicle access, car parking
- Sound / PA Systems, food and drink
- Waste disposal
- Public liability insurance
- Premises licence or a Temporary Event Notice (TEN)
- Others as necessary (depending on type of event).
How much notice does the Event Safety Advisory Group need?
The more notice we receive, the more time organisers have to plan effectively, especially if the event is large scale or requires licences and/or road closures. Ideally we need the event notification form at least 3 months before your event is due to take place.
It normally takes 6 months to organise a small event and up to 12 months for a larger event.
Event Safety Advisory Group Meetings
Meetings are held regularly, but special meetings may be held to discuss large events.
Civil Contingencies Team
Telephone Number: 01495 311556
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org