The Welsh Language in Blaenau Gwent
The Welsh Language Standards
The previous statutory Welsh Language Scheme, approved under the Welsh Language Act 1993, has been replaced by the requirements of the Welsh Language Standards.
The Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011 set out to modernise the legal framework regarding the use of the Welsh language in the delivery of public services.
The aims of the Welsh Language Standards are to:
- Improve the services Welsh-speakers can expect to receive from specified organisations in Welsh;
- Increase the use people make of Welsh-language services;
- Make it clear to organisations what they need to do in terms of the Welsh language; and
- Ensure that there is an appropriate degree of consistency in terms of the duties placed on bodies in the same sectors.
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council is required to comply with 171 Welsh Language Standards. Within the Standards is a duty to produce a bilingual Welsh Language Annual Report, which is published and promoted by 30 June each year.
We are proud to present our Welsh Language Annual Report 2016-17, which focuses on the progress that the Local Authority has made in compliance with the Standards.
Under Standards 158, 164 and 170 Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council has a duty to produce a Welsh Language Monitoring Report in Welsh (see below link).
Under Standard 145, the Council must produce and publish a five year Welsh Language Promotion Strategy (see below link) that sets out how it proposes to promote the Welsh language and to facilitate the use of the Welsh language more widely in Blaenau Gwent.
Helena Hunt, Policy Team Leader, Policy Partnerships and Engagement Team, Corporate Services and Strategy, Floor 4A, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6XB
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: 01495 355108
- Welsh Language Monitoring Report 2016 - 17
- Welsh Language Monitoring Report - 2015-16
- Welsh Language Promotion Strategy 2017-2022
- Welsh Language Compliance Standard Notice
Address: Floor 4a, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6XB
Email Address: email@example.com