The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011
The Act covering the operation and use of sunbeds came into force in Wales on 8th April 2011.
The Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 requires businesses to ensure that no person under the age of 18 years:
- uses a sunbed;
- is offered the use of a sunbed, or
- is present in a restricted zone
Failure to comply with the Act is a criminal offence and a penalty of up to £20,000 may be applied.
Further controls were introduced by the Sunbeds (Regulation) Act 2010 (Wales) Regulations 2011 which took effect from 31st October 2011:
- requirement for the supervision of sunbed use on all sunbed businesses
- prohibition of the sale or hire of sunbeds to under 18s
- extension of the requirements of the regulations to businesses that operate from domestic premises
- prescribed format and content of the health information that is to be displayed and made available to adults who may seek to use a sunbed
- prohibition of the provision or display of any material relating to health effects of sunbed use, other than material containing the health information prescribed by the regulations, and
- requirement for the provision and wearing of safe and appropriate protective eyewear for adults.
To report a non-compliance with the law or for advice and guidance on complying, please report it to us.
Further information on sunbeds and the legislation:
Telephone Number: 01495 357813
Address: Public Protection – Environmental Health, Commercial Team, Municipal Offices, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6XB
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org