Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme

The Welsh Government Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme is now available

The Welsh Government ‘Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme’ is now available and will help towards the installation costs of superfast broadband. This incentive can be used by small businesses, including the local communities surrounding them, for additional funding for the gigabit-capable broadband connection.

Currently the UK Government scheme allows businesses to claim up to £2,500 against the cost of a gigabit capable connection, which is available to individuals or part of a group project. Residents are allowed to claim a voucher worth £500 as part of a group project that includes business. The Welsh Government will pay up to an additional £3,000 per small to medium-sized business (SME) for group projects, plus an additional £300 per residential property. Overall this amounts to a total of £5,500 for group projects in Wales per business and up to £800 per residential property.

The Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme now replaces the Welsh Government’s Ultrafast Connectivity Voucher, although these older applications will still be considered. Additionally the Access Broadband Cymru scheme will continue to be available.

Councillor Dai Davies, Executive Member for Regeneration, Blaenau Gwent Council commented:

“Superfast broadband connections bring new commercial opportunities and create a competitive edge, which is essential for business in Blaenau Gwent to thrive and support our economy. Faster download speeds and smoother data streaming not only open up new ways of working but are also good for household access. We welcome this latest Welsh Government voucher scheme which offers the most reliable internet connectivity to businesses.”

Over 95% of premises in Wales are able to access superfast broadband, so for the remaining 5% to have the opportunity to connect, the Welsh Government have provided this vital funding voucher incentive. Already £22.5m has been invested to reach 26,000 of the remaining premises through fibre broadband. This is in addition to the £200m already invested in the Superfast Cymru programme which has connected more than 773,000 premises in areas where commercial companies had no plans to go.

For further information on the Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme and the range of options available can be found at www.gov.wales/broadband