Shielding was 'paused' in Wales from the 16th August 2020. Pausing means that shielding could be reintroduced in the future if considered necessary.
Local Help & Support (COVID-19)
Further reductions in risk for people previously shielding can be achieved by:
- Not meeting with anyone outside of your household, or your permitted extended household, either indoors or outdoors. There are exceptions for single person households and for essential care. For more information go to - https://gov.wales/coronavirus-firebreak-frequently-asked-questions
- Shopping at quieter times of day and going once per week rather than every day, if you cannot do this online
- Washing hands regularly for 20 seconds with soap and water and using hand sanitiser where hand washing facilities are not available
- Wearing a face covering when required
- Avoiding touching surfaces that have been touched by other
The Council has worked with partners and volunteers throughout the Pandemic and through lockdown to support vulnerable and shielding residents. Although the team has reduced we are still working with partners/volunteers to continue to provide support to those who need it.
If you do not have help or anyone to check on you, or you are worried about someone in the community, please contact us on 01495 311556.
Community spirit is strong in Blaenau Gwent. As well as the formal arrangements for support offered by Welsh Government and arrangements for schools we’re also aware of so many community groups, neighbourhoods and individuals who are doing fantastic things to support those who need it throughout this Pandemic.
We’ve put together some useful information below, which we hope will help you find the assistance and support you need.
One of the easiest and most efficient way for residents to access up-to-date information and support from across their community is by keeping in touch with the Facebook Groups that are updated and managed regularly by the community itself.
In Blaenau Gwent we are fortunate to have a number of already established Facebook Groups.
Here are some that you might find useful:
Coronavirus Support Blaenau Gwent
Wellbeing Networks Gwent COVID-19 support and information
Town Groups like Abertillery Town Shopping, Llanhilleth Past & Present, Blaina & Nantyglo community group, Brynmawr Community Working Together
Simply do a quick search for the name of the group in Facebook to see what is going on and be in touch with your neighbours.
We will also be promoting what is available through our own Blaenau Gwent CBC Facebook pages.
- Christmas Opening Times for GPs and Pharmacies
- Food and Shopping
- Food Bank Support
- GP Surgery Information
- Taxi Service Support
- 3rd Sector Support
- Housing Associations
- Full List of Support Services - Excel Spreadsheet
- Mental Health & Wellbeing Support Services