Free School Meals & Clothing Grants
Tell Blaenau Gwent if you have made a claim for Universal Credit and make a new and separate claim for Free School Meals if appropriate.
Your child is entitled to free school meals if your family receives one of the following benefits/support payments.
- Income support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (but not working Tax Credit) and your annual income as assessed by Revenues and Customs is below £16,190
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ - the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
- Or support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- This also applies to pupils at special day schools.
Please note that free school meals are paid by the Council where you reside in the majority of cases, and not by the Council region in which a child attends school.
Free School Meals & Local Authority Education Grant
For 2018/19 Welsh Government are replacing the existing clothing grant scheme with a Local Authority Education Grant.
The purpose of the scheme is to enable assistance to be made to families on low income for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes
- School sports kit including footwear
- Uniform for enrichment activities including but not limited to, scouts, guides, cadets, martial arts, sports, performing arts or dance;
- Equipment e.g. school bags and stationary
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology; and
- Equipment for out of school hours trips such as outdoor learning e.g. waterproofs.
IT equipment such as mobile phones and iPads, are excluded from this funding.
The funding is available to pupils who are eligible for free school meals or are looked after and:
- Reception class of maintained primary schools in September 18;
- Year 7 of maintained secondary schools in September 2018; or
- Pupils in special needs schools, special needs resource bases and pupil referral units who are aged 4 or aged 11 in September 2018
Entitlement under this grant is up to £125.00 per pupil
The Benefit Section are currently sending letters and application forms to those who appear to be eligible, if you receive a form please return to the Benefit Section straight await to avoid missing out on entitlement.
For further information please contact the Benefits Section using the contact information below.
Name of Team: Housing Benefits
Telephone : 01495 353398
Address: Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale