Covid-19 Childcare Funding
Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme (C-CAS)
Childcare funding is available for key essential workers during the Coronavirus pandemic for children aged 0 – 4 years, and vulnerable children.
Eligibility for Coronavirus Assistance Scheme:
- Parents who are employed as specific key workers
- Where one parent is a key worker but the other parent is not then the other parent should provide safe alternative arrangements at home when possible.
- There are no upper, or lower, earnings thresholds for pre-school childcare assistance for critical workers. The only criteria is that they can prove that they are currently employed in an area that has been deemed to be critical to the response to COVID-19 by the local authority where they reside. Consequently funding is available to full-time and part-time employees and those on ‘zero hour’ contracts.
- Vulnerable children include those with safeguarding needs and supported by social care, which include children with care and support or support plans, children on the child protection register and looked after children, young carers, disabled children, those with Statements of special educational needs. The most vulnerable of these should be prioritised.
- Information on key worker eligibility is available
For information on childcare settings currently open, please contact the Family Information Service either by email at email@example.com or telephone 08000 32 33 39 or visit http://www.fis.wales/fis/W06000019
Government advice is clear and we should all adhere to the following key principles:
- If it is at all possible for children to be at home, then they should be
- If a child needs specialist support, is deemed vulnerable by Blaenau Gwent County Borough or has a parent who is a critical worker, then a safe secure environment will be available for them
- Parents should not rely for childcare from those who are advised to be in the stringent social distancing category such as grandparents, friends, or family members with underlying conditions
- Parents should also do everything they can to ensure children are not mixing socially in a way which can continue to spread the virus. They should observe the same social distancing principles as adults
- Residential special schools, boarding schools and special settings continue to care for children wherever possible
How many childcare hours can key essential workers claim?
- There is no upper, or lower, threshold on the number of hours of childcare that critical workers can access. They should be able to access the number of hours of childcare that they require to cover their working hours. This does not include hours where their spouse, or another family member, is able to care for their children.
- Please note that funding can be back dated from 1st April and funding will only cover where additional childcare costs have incurred (above and beyond those claimed through Childcare Offer for Wales, Local Authority Foundation Phase Nursery Education, Flying Start or Assisted Places)
- If you have a child that does not receive any of the above funding, you will be able to apply for all your childcare costs through C-CAS during the pandemic.
How do I apply for C-CAS?
Parents who are key workers can make an online application to claim funding for their childcare requirements here:
Please ensure you upload the below evidence of your eligibility, failure to do so may result in a delay in your application (photographic evidence is acceptable).
- Proof of my child/ren’s age such as birth certificate or current passport
- Proof of current address and residency within Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council area
- Proof of status as a critical worker/s such as Staff ID / letter from your employer / recent payslip
Do not send your child/ren if they are unwell. Please follow the Covid-19 guidance as advised by Public Health Wales. If anyone in your family have symptoms, please self-isolate for 14 days. If you need to cancel a booking you have made, please telephone the Childcare Provider as soon as possible.
Should you have any queries about your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Welsh Government Privacy Notice for information collated for Monitoring Information of Parents, Children and Providers using the Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme can be found here
Information for Childcare Providers
Childcare Providers providing care for children of key workers will need to register for the C-CAS funding by completing the form and returning it to Blaenau Gwent Family Information Service email@example.com
Childcare providers will receive Daily Rate £50 (5+ hours booked) / Half Day Rate £25 (up to 5 hours booked).
Information for Childcare Providers out of County
Please contact The Family Information Service for information on how payments will be made to childcare providers outside of Blaenau Gwent caring for Blaenau Gwent children.
Local Authority Childcare Provision at the Flying Start Garnlydan Hub
The Local Authority has arranged childcare provision at the Flying Start Garnlydan Hub for children aged 2-4 (and their siblings up to the age of 8) to support keyworker and vulnerable families.
Flying Start childcare staff will run the provision so you can be assured that your child is in the best hands.
Sessions are available 9.15am – 1.15pm, Monday to Friday for 2-4 year olds. Parents who require a place at the Hub will need to contact The Family Information Service on 08000 32 33 39 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Information on key worker eligibility is available here.
In order to register your child please complete the Coronavirus Childcare Assistance Scheme (C-CAS) Application Form