MyST (Therapeutic Fostering in Blaenau Gwent)
What is MyST?
MyST (My Support Team) is a multiagency partnership working to help children who are looked after, remain in their local communities. It works seamlessly across statutory agencies to provide an effective alternative to residential care for children who are looked after with highly complex needs. MyST is commissioned by the Gwent Children and Families Partnership Board. This service is already established in Torfaen and Caerphilly and will be regional across all of Gwent by 2021.
Why MyST matters?
Those children who are cared for in family environments and in their local communities benefit from increased developmental and resilience-building opportunities including maintaining relationships with friends, siblings, parents and extended family members which are otherwise disrupted by significant moves. Care managed by one consistent team over the long term also provides opportunities for young people to develop genuine attachments, which prove so vital to their onward development.
Working with everyone involved in a young person’s life, we have the necessary resources to meet their needs and the needs of their families. Making a long-term commitment and working in true partnership with professional colleagues, and most importantly with young people themselves and their families, creates a significant resource of knowledge, skills, creativity and determination.
How can I help?
We are currently recruiting MyST Therapeutic foster carers in your area. Here are just a few points on what it’s like to be a MyST Therapeutic foster carer.
- You get the opportunity to provide the young people with positive experiences and provide a level of stability.
- You can help provide the young people
with positive influences and promote their wellbeing.
- You get to see the positive change in a young person’s character and their life choices.
- You get to be part of a creative and dynamic multi-agency team who will support you with training and supervision.
What qualities do you think would make a good MyST carer?
People who are willing to regularly reflect on the level of care they provide, accept that on occasions they may not always get it right but learn.
You need to have an element of playfulness, acceptance, curiosity and empathy whilst providing a the best care possible to these children. You need to think that the quality of care you provide is what you would expect for a child of your own. You also need to be prepared to accept the experience of professionals who act in the best interest of the child whilst working as part of a team around the child.
Why become a MyST carer?
- Great remuneration package starting at £21,166pa and can move up to £24,313pa, as well as allowances paid for the child or young person
- 24 hours on call service available 365 days a year
- Extensive training package including MyST carers support group, 1:1 clinical supervision, part of case meetings and other training delivered by the team
- Your own dedicated Lead Therapeutic Practitioner (our Lead Therapeutic Practitioners have small caseloads to enable them to intensively support their placements)
- Being part of a wider network and team
- Being part of a passionate team to help the most disadvantaged children, using an innovative approach to children’s mental health.
The difference MyST can make…
“Thank you for last night, I truly appreciate it, having someone to speak to really helps” Birth family member regarding MyST “On Call” service.
“Working alongside MyST and being in regular contact with the team has allowed me to share my knowledge and ideas and I feel like a valued person within the child’s support network. I feel listened to and that my skill set as a foster carer is appreciated.”
Blaenau Gwent Local Authority Foster Carer supported by MyST
“MyST is a much needed service, it stops kids going into residential care. The support and training is comprehensive and very powerful. The team is brilliant and being able to help those kids in our communities who need it most is very satisfying.”
Torfaen MyST Therapeutic Foster Carer