Foster Carers Fees and Allowances April 2017 – 2018
All foster carers working with Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council are required to register as self-employed. Foster carers will receive will payments that are made up of two elements:
- A weekly allowance (paid fortnightly) is to cover the maintenance costs of caring for a child or young person. This allowance is based on the child/young person’s age as follows:
- 0-4 years: £170.00
- 5-10 years: £155.00
- 11-15 years: £177.38
- 16+: £215.74
- A weekly allowance called ‘Payment for Skills.’ This allowance is based on individual foster carer(s) approval status and their skills and experience and are as follows:
- Band 1 carer: £25.00 weekly per child
- Band 2 carer: £75.00 weekly per child
- Band 3 carer: £125.00 weekly per child
All new carers start at Band 1. Under the ‘Payment for Skills’ scheme you will have the opportunity to develop your skills through training and experience, and move to the higher skills levels as part of your ongoing learning and development. These fees are not dependent on the type of placements you have but on the skills you can offer.
Both allowances are paid per child, per week, are non-taxable, and are only paid when the child(ren) are in placement.
Examples of foster carer’s weekly payments:
A Band 2 foster carer that has one child aged 5 in placement would receive the following:
- Weekly Banding payment: £75.00
- Weekly Allowance for child: £155.00
- Total weekly payment: £230.00
A Band 1 foster carer that has two children, one aged 1 and the other aged 5 would receive the following:
- Weekly Banding payment: £25.00 x2 children = £50.00
- Weekly Allowance for child aged 1: £170.00
- Weekly Allowance for child aged 5: £155.00
- Total weekly payment: £375.00
Foster carers who have a teenager in placement (13+) will receive an additional payment of £50 per teenager in addition to the child’s allowance and the foster carers banding payments.
- Day Care Respite rates: £3.66 per hour, per child.
- Overnight Respite rates are paid according to how many night/weeks a child is in your care and in relation to the age of the child.
- Banding payments for respite carers is calculated again on the amount of hours/days/weeks a child is in your care.
Further details of Respite Rates are available on request.