Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest Education Information
To keep up to date with the latest information on coronavirus (COVID-19) please follow the link to the Welsh Government website below:
Key Worker Application
Thank you to all those you have applied for a key worker childcare place to date. The first application round has now closed. We will be providing further updates throughout the course of the week.
The model which Blaenau Gwent are taking forward with regards to school re-purposing is as follows, and is based upon 4 re-purposed hubs located within the largest towns throughout the County Borough, along with 2 re-purposed hubs for pupils who require special school provision:
- Abertillery Learning Community - Tillery Street Campus will be hosting provision on behalf of the Abertillery cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: all ALC Campuses – primary and secondary, Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Helyg, St Illtyd’s Primary School and Sofrydd Primary School).
- Brynmawr Foundation School and Blaen y Cwm Primary School will be hosting provision for the Brynmawr cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: St Mary’s Church in Wales Primary School, St Mary’s Roman Catholic School, Coed y Garn Primary School and Ystruth Primary School).
- Ebbw Fawr Learning Community Secondary Campus will be hosting provision on behalf the Ebbw Vale cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: the EFLC Primary Campus, All Saints Roman Catholic Primary School, Beaufort Hill Primary School, Cwm Primary School, Glyncoed Primary School, Rhos y Fedwen Primary School and Willowtown Primary School).
- Tredegar Comprehensive School and Glanhowy Primary School will be hosting provision on behalf of the Tredegar/Sirhowy cluster (inclusive of service provision for the following schools: Bryn Bach Primary School, Deighton Primary School, Georgetown Primary School, and St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Primary School).
- Pen y Cwm Special School along with the River Centre Learning Community will host provision for their respective pupil populations in line with vulnerable pupil and key worker assessments.
The model has been developed in consideration of the latest guidance from Public Health Wales and Welsh Government, and in consideration of pupil and staff safety.
School Meals Provision
In light of the recent school closures and the importance of continuing to provide school meal provision to our pupils, from Wednesday, 25th March 2020 school meals in the form of a packed lunch will be available to all children and young people that require them in Blaenau Gwent.
The meals will be available from the following distribution points:
- St Illtyd’s Primary School (for all Sofrydd and St Illtyd’s Primary pupils)
- Abertillery Learning Community, Tillery St Campus (for all Abertillery Learning Community pupils) - please note lunches from ALC can be collected between 11am and 12noon
- Coed-y-Garn Primary School (for all Coed-y-Garn, Ystruth and Ysgol Gymraeg Bro Helyg primary school pupils)
- Blaen-y-Cwm Primary School (for all Blaen-y-Cwm, St Mary's Church in Wales and St Mary's RC primary school pupils)
- Brynmawr Foundation School (for all Brynmawr Foundation School pupils)
- Rhos-y-Fedwen (for all Rhos-y-Fedwen and Beaufort Hill Primary school pupils)
- Willowtown Primary School (for all Willowtown, All Saints RC and Glyncoed primary school pupils)
- Ebbw Fawr Learning Community Primary Phase (for all Ebbw Fawr Learning Community pupils)
- Cwm Primary School (for all Cwm primary school pupils)
- Pen-y-Cwm Special School (normal meal service for Pen-y-Cwm pupils to be served within the school)
- Bryn Bach Primary School (for all Bryn Bach and St Joseph’s RC primary school pupils)
- Glanhowy Primary School (for all Glanhowy, Deighton and Georgetown primary school pupils)
- Tredegar Comprehensive School (for all Tredegar Comprehensive School pupils)
- The River Centre 3-16 Learning Community – pupils are able to collect a meal from their nearest local distribution point
- Pen y Cwm Special School (normal meal service for those pupils identified to attend school from Thursday, 26th March 2020 and served within the school) ** Please see below for those pupils NOT attending school**
**Pen y Cwm Special School - Pupils – are able to collect a meal from their nearest local distribution point**
Meals will be available at the above schools between 11.45am and 12.45pm
Please ensure that the meals are collected by parents/carers only. The staff will not be permitted to give meals to pupils not accompanied by an adult. Please can you confirm by email to email@example.com if your child/children require a packed lunch meal and which school you will be collecting it from.
If you have queries please contact Emma Jones on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please can we remind parents/carers when collecting the meals of the importance of social distancing and social gathering. Once you have collected the meals you will need to leave the school building and site straight away.
If any families are unable to collect the meals themselves due to self-isolating please contact Emma Jones on Emma.email@example.com to discuss alternative arrangements.
Latest Welsh Government Information
Welsh Government is publishing regular updates and guidance and the latest information is below.