Equality Information & Advice
Talk to us about fairness and equalities!
Blaenau Gwent Council’s current Strategic Equality Plan 2016-20 is in its final year of delivery and already we are beginning our preparations to develop a new plan.
We will publish our new plan by the 31st March, 2020.
To support us, we are seeking your views to find out what is important to you, and to ask what you think are the key equalities areas that the Council needs to focus on.
How can you help?
We want you to tell us:
1. What is most important to you about equalities?
2. What are the key equalities areas that the Council needs to focus on?
How can you take part?
You can take part in many different ways:
- By completing our online survey via - https://www.snapsurveys.com/wh/s.asp?k=156801875200
- Write to us via Policy & Partnerships, Civic Centre, Municipal Offices, Ebbw Vale, Blaenau Gwent. NP23 6XB
- Email us via: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us on: 01495 355935 / 01495 355092
- We also welcome drawings, stories, poems or videos
What are the next steps?
Your views and ideas will help us to draft a new plan and identify key equalities areas.
When we have written our draft plan you will have another opportunity to share your views during October 2019.
What is the deadline to respond?
Monday 30th September, 2019.
Your views and feedback are really important to us, please share this information through your networks and also encourage your friends and family to take part.
As a Council we are opposed to discrimination in any form. Our aim is to ensure that everyone is able to access all of our services in a way that meets their requirements.
Equality and Diversity and the Equality Act 2010
We recognise that people might suffer discrimination and be disadvantaged for many reasons. It also has both a moral and statutory obligation to reflect the needs of a diverse community through its service provision and as an employer.
It is committed to promoting equality and diversity across all of our services and ensuring that they are accessible to all. The Act puts fairness at the heart of society, harmonises discrimination law, strengthens the law to support progress on Equalities and devolves the responsibility for discrimination to Wales.
The Act consolidated the previous 116 different pieces of equality legislation and gives everyone the right not to be treated less favourably by public authorities. The protected characteristics (strands) to which the General public sector equality duty apply are:
- Gender reassignment
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Religion and belief
- Sexual orientation
- Marriage and Civil Partnership
The Welsh Language is not part of the Equality Act as it is covered by its own specific piece of legislation – The Welsh Language Measure (Wales) 2011 – but is no less important.
There is the need to have due regard to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance Equality of opportunity
- Foster good relations
- Covers employment and the provision of goods and services (covers both staff and the public who access services)
Specific Duties have been created to support compliance of the Equality Duty.
- Setting equality objectives
- Consultation and Involvement
- Assessing impact (Equality Impact Assessments)
- Reporting progress against objectives
- Gender pay and job segregation
- Public Sector Procurement
- How inspection supports the equality agenda;
- Reporting by the Welsh Ministers.
We have a Strategic Equality Plan, and report on this policy to the Equality and Human Rights Commission annually.
- Strategic Equality Plan Annual Report 2017 - 2018
- Strategic Equality Plan Annual Report 2016 - 2017
- Strategic Equality Plan Action Plan 2016 - 2020
- Blaenau Gwent Strategic Equality Plan Annual Report - 2014 to 2015
- Fifth Annual Monitoring Report: Covering the period 1 April 2015 - 31st March 2016 Strategic Equality Plan 2012 - 2016
- Talk to us about fairness and equalities!
- Talk to us about fairness and equalities (Easy Read)
Telephone Number: 01495 355110
Address: Floor 4a, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6XB
Email Address: Equalities@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk