There are a number of ways in which you can have your say during the consultation which include an online questionnaire, via letter or at one of a series of drop-in public consultation events aimed at pupils, parents and the wider community throughout November.
The Council has recognised the need to review provision for pupils presenting with SEBD. It is proposed that the new school would be established using existing buildings and facilities in the Ebbw Vale and Tredegar areas and an element of home/community tuition would also be retained. The school would offer 24 permanent places and 40 ‘turnaround’ places. It would have its own Governing Body and Leadership Team.
The findings of the consultation will be fed back to the Council’s Executive Committee in January 2017 and a decision will be made on how to proceed.
Events are being held at:
- Wednesday, 2nd November - Bedwellty House, Tredegar, 5.30pm to 7pm
- Wednesday, 2nd November – Abertillery Metropole, 5.30pm to 7pm
- Thursday, 3rd November – Rassau Resource Centre, Ebbw Vale, 5.30pm to 7pm
- Thursday, 3rd November – Llanhilleth Institute, 5.30 to 7pm
- Monday, 7th November – Brynmawr Rugby Club, 5.30 to 7pm
- Tuesday, 8th November – Ebbw Vale Learning Action Centre, 5.30 to 7pm
- Wednesday, 9th November – Blaina Integrated Children’s Centre, 5.30pm to 7pm
Responses can also be made as follows:
- By letter to Lynn Phillips, Head of Education Transformation and Performance, Education Directorate, Anvil Court, Abertillery NP13 1DB
- By e-mail to: email@example.com
- By completing the online questionnaire at http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/resident/schools-learning/21st-century-schools-consultation/
Responses will be received between Monday, 31st October and Monday, 12th December 2016
The proposal being consulted on is:
‘To close the following education provision on 31st August 2017:
- Key Stage 2 Resource Base for complex needs located at Glyncoed Primary School; and Canolfan Yr Afon Fach and Canolfan Yr Afon Pupil Referral Units (PRU) located at the Thomas Richards Centre, Tredegar, the former Pontygof school site and the Stewards House site, Ebbw Vale.
... and to...
With effect from 1 September 2017, to establish a community maintained English medium 3-16 Learning Community (School) that can also cater for Welsh Medium learners with SEBD, resulting in an integrated provision and a permanent resource base. The provision will also act as a centre of excellence to support mainstream schools in building capacity for SEBD pupils. The provision will be located on the following sites:
- Thomas Richards Centre, Tredegar;
- The former Pontygof school site;
- Stewards House site, Ebbw Vale; and,
- a vocational provision at a site to be determined’.