School building programme
The Education Transformation team has a responsibility for reviewing accommodation within all Blaenau Gwent schools and identifying where changes are needed. This includes:-
- new build projects, extensions and remodelling of existing school premises;
- maintenance and repair work;
- removal of buildings surplus to requirements;
- ensuring accessibility for those with special needs
Since 1996, significant work has been carried out and over £85million has been invested in Blaenau Gwent school buildings. In 2011, the Welsh Government announced its 21st Century Schools Programme, which match funds major schools and education projects by Welsh councils.
Blaenau Gwent Council was successful in bidding for £20.25million to create a generation of 21st Century Schools in the county borough. You can find out more about the Council’s plans on the 21st Century Schools page.
Schools Asset Management Plan
The Schools Asset Management Plan 2012- 2015 supports the process of teaching and learning and raising educational standards, which requires that:-
- school buildings and facilities are fit for the purpose of delivering effective education
- there are sufficient pupil places to meet future demand, whilst avoiding a significant over-provision which will waste limited resources; and
- school buildings and facilities are well maintained and provide a safe, pleasant environment for pupils, staff and others.
The Asset Management Plan 2016- 2019 is presently being updated.
Name of Team: Education Transformation Team,
21st Century Schools officer
Telephone Number: 01495 355470/357704
Address: Anvil Court, Abertillery Blaenau Gwent NP13 1DB
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org