21st Century Schools
The Council’s Education Transformation Team delivers the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools and Education Capital Programme. For more information on 21st Century Schools please visit: http://21stcenturyschools.org/?lang=en
The programme looks at long-term and strategic capital investments needed to create educational communities which are fit for purpose in a 21st Century Wales and also focuses resources on the right schools in the right places, for children and young people from early years through to post-16.
Funding for the projects is 50:50 between the Council and the Welsh Government. The aim of the funding is to deliver:
- learning environments in Wales that will enable the successful implementation of strategies for improvement and better educational outcomes
- greater economy and efficiency for learning environments through better use of resources
- a sustainable education system in Wales that meets national building standards and reduces the recurrent costs and carbon footprint of education buildings.
The 21st Century School projects are carried out on a phased basis over a number of years with the current cycle will run between 2011 and 2019.
Current 21st Century schools investments are:
- Tredegar Comprehensive School remodeling project
- Abertillery Primary School new build
- Six Bells Primary School new build
- Ystruth Primary and Welsh Medium Primary School remodeling projects
Blaenau Gwent is also a regional partner in the Welsh Medium 2 New Build Project currently taking place in Duffryn, Newport. For more information please visit the following website: http://www.newport.gov.uk/en/Council-Democracy/About-the-council/Questions-at-Council/Questions-at-council/Questions---Welsh-medium-education.aspx
How builds are managed
Local 21st Century Schools delivery is determined by the Council’s Strategic Outline Programme (SOP), in line with achieving key educational objectives including improved standards of education within Blaenau Gwent.
For more information please contact the Education Transformation Team via the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Blaenau Gwent School Organisation Policy and Educational Standards
The Council remains committed to the provision of high quality education for all children and young people. Progress to raise educational standards has been made; however, the aim is to continually improve pupil outcomes and wellbeing across the county borough. It is, therefore, implicit within the Council’s 21st Century Schools Strategic Outline Programme (SOP), that a fundamental review of the school estate is required to transform standards of education.
The vision is to improve pupil attainment, achievement and wellbeing through the transformation of schools and learning environments to meet modern 21st Century School expectations. Also, to secure and sustain the delivery of high quality education for all pupils across the age range from 3 to 16, which is underpinned by two objectives:
- to be the best performing Local Authority within the family of Local Authorities (Caerphilly, RCT, Merthyr Tydfil and Neath Port Talbot) by 2017/2018; and,
- to exceed the Welsh average for all key indicators by 2018.
The Blaenau Gwent School Organisation Policy provides strategic direction for ongoing transformation and review of the school estate within Blaenau Gwent. For more details visit : http://democracy.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/aksblaenau_gwent/images/att2877.pdf
Name of Team: Education Transformation Team
Telephone Number: 01495 355470 /357704
Address: Education Directorate, Floor 8, Anvil Court, Church Street, Abertillery, NP13 1DB
Email Address: email@example.com