Overpayments usually occur because a change in your circumstances was not reported at the time that it happened.
We will send you a letter to tell you that you have been overpaid which will explain the reason why it happened, the period it covers and the amount that you need to repay back.
If you cannot afford to repay the overpayment in one payment then decide how much you think you can pay us each week and call 01495 353398, e-mail us on email@example.com, complete the online enquiry form or visit the Civic Centre to discuss your proposal. You can also write to us.
If your offer is reasonable, we may be able to agree the repayments immediately. However, if we cannot, we may ask you to complete an income and expenditure form.
If you are going to visit our office to discuss repayment, please fill in the income and expenditure form before you come to see us.
The overpayment can be repaid by us deducting a weekly amount from any Housing Benefit you are still entitled to. If that is what happens, we will send you a letter to explain how much is being recovered every week. You must pay the amount deducted to your landlord plus any rent you already pay to make sure you do not fall into rent arrears.
If we cannot recover the debt by that method over a reasonable period, then we will send you an invoice asking for repayment.
There are a number of ways you can pay us if we send you a bill.
- Use the council's automated telephone payment system – 08456042635 please have your invoice number and debit or credit card details to hand**
- To speak to someone and make a payment using most debit or credit cards please telephone us on 01495 355838 or 01495 311556**
- By cash, cheque or postal order at the Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, Gwent, NP23 6XB.
- By post: Housing Benefit Section, Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, Gwent, NP23 6XB.
- By standing order. Please print off the standing order form below and return.
- By direct debit. Please print off the direct debit form below and return.
- By paying cash using a PayPoint card at any Post Office or PayPoint outlet. These can be requested from the Benefits section.
**Please note that if you pay by credit card, you will incur a surcharge of 1.8% of your payment, 0.35% surcharge if you use a Visa debit card and 18p on any transaction using a MasterCard Debit card
Direct Earnings Attachment (DEA)
Using this method, employers are required to make deductions from the salary of their employees and the amounts deducted are then paid over to us to reduce or clear the debt
Any overpayments that are not recovered may be subject to court proceedings which will incur further costs. We can then recover by either:
- Warrant of execution
- Attachment of earnings
- 3rd party deductions
Name of Team: Housing Benefits
Telephone : 01495 353398
Address: Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale