About Social Services

Important Public Notice

To ensure we adhere to changes set out by the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014, Blaenau Gwent Social Services are currently making changes to the information and advice it provides through information leaflets and webpages. If you are unable to find information, advice or guidance for a service please contact:

C2BG on 01495 311556

Email: info@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

Social Services in Blaenau Gwent support those people who are in need of care and support, including those children and adult at risk and in need of protection and those who need to develop their abilities to live as independent and fulfilled as possible.

Who do Social Services support?

Blaenau Gwent Social Services support:

  • Children and young people under18 and their families.
  • Young people who the Council has looked after up until the age of 24.
  • Adults and Older People with physical disabilities, learning disabilities, mental health or drug or alcohol related problems.
  • Carers, that is family and friends who look after others.

What support is provided?

Children Services have a legal responsibility to provide a wide range of services to promote the welfare of children and keep them safe.

Adult Services provide a very wide range of help for broad groupings of people with many support and care needs.  Information leaflets are available; view the complete range.

Who do you contact for help from Social Services?

The Council call centre, C2BG, provides the first point of contact for people who wish to ask for information, advice or assistance or, with their permission, for a relative or friend.  Contact with C2BG can be made in person by phone, letter, fax or e-mail.  These methods are also the first point of contact with Social Services by other agencies, such as Health, Education, Police and Housing.

What information do Social Services need?

When you get in touch with C2BG you will be asked some questions about the circumstances that led to your contact and to find out if Social Services may be able to help.

Some basic information will be needed including your name, address and contact details and if the referral is being made on behalf of somebody else that person’s details will also be required. Anonymous referrals can be taken however C2BG may require additional information to process the referral.

The permission of the person being referred must have been obtained before a referral is made unless there are safeguarding concerns.  Social Services rarely accept referrals without such permission, and if permission has not been obtained, an explanation must be given.

What Happens Next?

C2BG will either provide you with information or may redirect you to another agency or organisation or decide whether to pass the information you have provided to specialist staff in Social Services.

If your information is passed on to specialist staff in Social Services they will undertake a proportionate assessment with you to determine what outcomes you wish to achieve and if you are eligible for services. 

Social Services only provide care and support to vulnerable people with particular social care needs and their carers who are eligible for that support.

What can I do if things go wrong?

If you are unhappy about any of our services, or about the way you have been treated, you have the right to complain.  If you wish, you may have someone with you to speak on your behalf or to support you.

Further details of how to use the complaints procedure can be found in the Social Services complaints leaflet, or by contacting the Complaints Officer based at the Headquarters office.

Contact Information

For further information please contact

Dedicated Referral Team:

Civic Centre,
Ebbw Vale,
Gwent, NP23 6XB

Telephone: (01495) 315700
Fax: (01495) 353350
Minicom: (01495) 355959

For information enquiries:
Email : info@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

For referrals:
Email : DutyTeam@blaenau-gwent.gcsx.gov.uk


Social Services Directorate,
Anvil Court,
Church Street,
Abertillery NP13 1DB

Telephone: (01495) 354680
Fax: (01495) 355285