Home Care

What is Home Care?

The Home Care service provides support for individuals with their personal care e.g. toileting, getting up/going to bed and meal preparation.

The aim of Home Care is to ensure people’s independence is maintained.

Home Care may be provided by Local Authority or Independent Sector staff, depending upon what is required and when it is required.

Who can receive the service?

The Service can be provided to families with young children, as well as to adults in their own right.

The majority of service users are elderly people living on their own or being cared for by an elderly spouse.  However, the most important thing is to ask for an assessment of your needs, to see whether you may be entitled to some help.

How do I get an assessment?

You need to contact Social Services or ask someone to do it for you.  This can be by telephone, letter or by visiting our office.

If I receive a service, what information will I get?

If a service is to be provided, you will receive: 

  • An Individual Service Plan which will describe how we will help you and the time/s allocated.
  • The name of your regular Home Carer.
  • How to contact your Home Carer’s Manager.
  • The name of your Care Manager.
  • How to notify changes in your circumstances or requirements.
  • What to do if you do not require the service.
  • How to raise concerns or make a complaint.
  • How much you will be required to contribute.

Can I choose who provides Home Care?

Currently, the majority of Home Care is provided by the Local Authority’s own staff. We also use independent sector providers, all of whom work to the same regulatory standards as our own staff – so you can rely on a professional service, whoever actually delivers it.

Should you have any concerns with the Carer providing your care, you will need to contact your Home Care Organiser who will look into your concerns and should there be a need to change carer will try to match the right carer with yourself.

Will I have to pay?

If you are provided with a service, following assessment, we will see whether you are able to make a contribution towards the cost of your service.

What can I do if it goes wrong?

If you are unhappy about the service, you can either:

  • Complain to the Service Provider.
  • Complain to your Care Manager.
  • Contact the Complaints Officer based at the Social Services Department’s Headquarters.

Contact Information

Telephone Number: (01495) 315700
Fax: (01495) 353350
Minicom: (01495) 355959

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Civic Centre
Ebbw Vale
Gwent, NP23 6XB
Email Address: info@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

For referrals:

Email : DutyTeam@blaenau-gwent.gcsx.gov.uk

Adult Services (Headquarters)
Anvil Court
Church Street
NP13 1DB

Telephone: (01495) 354612
Fax: (01495) 355285

Email Address : social.services.complaints@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk

Home Care Service:
Family Resource Centre
Beaufort Road
Ebbw Vale
NP23 5LH

Telephone: (01495) 357880