Protection Of Vulnerable Adults

In recent years there has been publicity about adult abuse.  Many more people are aware that vulnerable adults may be at risk of abuse and want to do something about it.

Local authorities, police, the health service and the Care & Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) now work together to try and prevent abuse occurring and stopping it when it does happen.

This page gives information on those adults at risk and the types of abuse they face.  It provides guidance on which people could be abusers.  It also gives contact points for further help and advice if you are being abused or are concerned that someone you know may be at risk.

Who is a vulnerable adult?
Many people associate adult abuse with frail, older people.  Older people may sometimes be vulnerable, but a vulnerable adult can be anyone over the age of 18 who has a physical or sensory disability, or a learning difficulty or a mental health problem, and who may be unable to protect themselves from abuse or harm.

What is abuse?
Abuse is any behaviour towards a person that causes him or her harm, endangers life or violates their rights.  It can happen to both men and women.

Abuse might be:

  • Physical e.g. shaking, slapping, pushing or kicking someone.
  • Sexual e.g. any sexual activity that the person does not want, understand or agree to.
  • Psychological e.g. threats of harm or abandonment or humiliation, intimidation or verbal abuse.
  • Financial e.g. stealing someone’s money or denying them access to their money or possessions.
  • Neglect e.g. ignoring someone’s medical or care needs, or withholding food, drink or aids to daily living.
  • Discriminatory e.g. abusive remarks or actions regarding a person’s age, race, religion sex or abilities.

Who may be abused or at risk?

  • Any vulnerable adult can be at risk of abuse or harm.
  • People can be abused in their own homes, in care homes, care homes with nursing, in day centres, at work, in hospitals, police stations and in public places.

Who may be an abuser?

  • Either a woman or a man.
  • A partner, child or relative, or other household member.
  • A friend or neighbour.
  • A volunteer worker.
  • A health or social worker.
  • A member of staff in a care home or sheltered housing scheme.
  • Another vulnerable adult.
  • Anyone else with access to the person concerned.
  • A stranger.

What should I do?
It is everyone’s responsibility to help to protect vulnerable adults from being abused.  If you know that an incident of abuse has taken place, you should report it.

You can contact any of the agencies listed below.  If it is an emergency, you should contact the police immediately.  They will take your concerns seriously and will work with you or others to make sure everyone is safe.

Looking after a vulnerable adult can be difficult.  Carers can feel isolated and stressed.  If you are worried that you might harm the person you are caring for it is important that you talk to someone.  You can contact any of the agencies listed below and they will be able to offer you help and support.

Staff members who work with vulnerable adults may be worried about the consequences of reporting abuse.  It is important that you tell someone what is happening.  The person concerned may not be able to report the abuse themselves and may rely upon you to voice your concerns.  You will be offered advice and support by the agencies listed below.

Gwent-wide Adult Safeguarding Board (GWASB)

The Gwent-wide Adult Safeguarding Board (referred to as GWASB) is the forum that's responsible for the strategic leadership, monitoring and reviewing of adult safeguarding practice in Gwent.

The Gwent-wide Adult Safeguarding Board was established in January 2011, combining the Council Area Adult Protection Committee arrangements in Blaenau Gwent, Torfaen and Monmouthshire, with those of Caerphilly and Newport.  The Board’s creation served as an opportunity to work together across the region and to embed interagency partnership for the strategic leadership, monitoring and reviewing of adult safeguarding practice.

The Gwent-wide Adult Safeguarding Board is currently a voluntary collaboration established to improve inter-agency regional practice in protecting vulnerable adults. The Board has a role in co-ordinating and ensuring the effectiveness of regional organisations to work to safeguard adults at risk, but it is not accountable for their operational work. Each member agency of the Board remains responsible and accountable for the safeguarding service delivered in their organisations. The Safeguarding Adults Board does not have power to direct other organisations.

The Board’s vision is to ensure that all adults in Gwent are safeguarded effectively through partnership working and community engagement. The Board provides strong leadership, governance and accountability and promotes the rights of adults at risk to live in safety and actively works to prevent, identify and investigate alleged abuse. Access to the GWASB website can be found in the related website box at the top of the page.

Contact Information

For further information please contact

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Civic Centre
Ebbw Vale
Gwent, NP23 6XB

Tel: (01495) 315700
Fax: (01495) 353350
Minicom: (01495) 355959

For information enquiries:

Email :

For referrals:

Email :

Emergency Duty Team for Social Services
Tel: 0800 328 4432
Minicom: 0800 587 9963

Adult Protection Co-ordinator
Anvil Court
Church Street
NP13 1DB

Tel: (01495) 354613
Fax: (01495) 354609

Police POVA Referral Unit
Mamhilad Park Estate

Emergencies: 999
Non-Emergencies: 101
General Enquiries: (01633) 838111
Minicom: (01656) 656980
Textphone: 18001 101

Care & Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW)
South East Wales Regional Office
Welsh Government
Rhydycar Business Park
Merthyr Tydfil
CF48 1UZ

Tel: 0300 062 8888
Fax: 0300 062 8548

Email :