The Chief Legal Services and Corporate Support Officer is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Division. The Legal and Estates Sections comprises a team of qualified and unqualified personnel, who undertake a range of duties both legal and administration providing a comprehensive legal, estates and valuation service to the Council.
The Section comprises 24 full time staff.
The services are mainly internal support services and service delivery needs to be planned, based upon the needs of internal clients.
The Division's key objective is to provide a complete, quality service which is comprehensive and effective and satisfies the needs of all customers.
The Chief Legal Officer, Dylan John, is the Council's Monitoring Officer in accordance with Section 5 of the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. The Chief Legal Officer is also the Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer. The Constitutional Officer is the Deputy Monitoring Officer and the Head of Corporate Support is the Proper Officer for the Registration of Births, Deaths and Marriages
OBJECTIVE - In support of the Council's overall objective the Section will "support the Council in achieving its objectives lawfully and with propriety, by delivering a quality in-house legal and valuation/estates management service, responsive to the needs and resources of our customers".
MISSION STATEMENT - To provide a complete, quality service which is comprehensive and effective and satisfies the needs of all customer.
- Provide a flexible and expert workforce
- Identify our client's wishes
- Provide timely and accurate advice to our clients
- Keep our clients informed of progress
- Achieve and maintain performance targets
- Regularly review the service
- Consult our clients
DESCRIPTION OF THE SERVICE -
- Corporate Legal Advice
- Legal Advice to customers
- Property, Litigation, conveyancing, planning, commercial, licensing, highways etc.
- Estates/Valuation service to customers
- Attendance at meetings as and when required
- Advice to schools - SLA
- Advice, assistance and guidance on interpretation and implementation of new legislation