What would you like to do? Pay for it Report it Request it Say It Find It

Blue Badge

Changes to Blue Badge Scheme from April 2012

From April, big changes to the Blue Badge scheme get underway across Wales. A national database has been introduced, storing all badge information to protect against fraud and helping the enforcement of the Blue Badge Scheme. The Blue Badge will be produced professionally increasing photo quality and making the badge more hardwearing.

The Welsh Government’s reform programme will help Blaenau Gwent Council – which administers the scheme locally – to improve efficiency, reduce costs, improve customer services, and help prevent abuse of the scheme.

How to apply for a Blue Badge

By completing an application form over the telephone with C2BG (01495 311556). This will be sent out for you to check all the information is correct and to sign the declaration.

You can apply online using the Department for Transport website application process. This application will be sent to us digitally, although we may need to contact you if it is incomplete. Click Here to access the online application form.

How much will it cost?

There is no fee for the Blue Badge, except for lost or damaged badges which will incur a £10.00 fee.

Who is eligible for a Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme provides a national arrangement of parking concessions for people who travel as drivers or passengers with the following:

You will be automatically eligible for a badge if you are more than two years old, can satisfy residency and identity checks, and meet at least one of the automatic eligibility criteria. You will need to provide the appropriate documentation to prove eligibility under one of the criteria. An example of proof of entitlement is proof of payment of the allowance. Please send a good-quality photocopy of your documents. Any documents sent as proof of entitlement will be returned to the applicant as quickly as possible, once they are no longer needed.

Registered as blind
The current formal notification required to register as blind (severely sight impaired) is a Certification of Blindness or Defective Vision (BP1 (3R)), or a Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI), signed by a Consultant Ophthalmologist, which states that you are blind (severely sight impaired). Previous equivalents are also acceptable, however, registration is voluntary.

Receives The Higher Rate of Disability Living Allowance Mobility Component

You will have had an award notice letter from the Disability and Carers Service (DCS). You will have been sent an annual award letter stating your entitlement. This award letter can be used as proof of receipt of HRMCDLA if your award letter is more than 12 months old or you have lost your HRMCDLA award letter then please contact the DCS for a current award letter by:

Telephone: 08457 123 456
Textphone: 08457 224 433
Email: DCPU.Customer-Services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

This helpline is open from 7.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday, and further details click here 

War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS)
If you receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement (WPMS) you should have an official letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency demonstrating receipt of the grant. You must enclose the original of this letter as proof of entitlement.
If you have lost this letter, then the agency can be contacted via the free-phone enquiry number: 0800 169 22 77.

Lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme
Please complete this section if you receive a lump sum benefit under the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces (Compensation) Scheme within tariff levels 1-8 (inclusive) and have been assessed and certified by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency as having a permanent and substantial impairment which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking. You will have been issued with a letter from the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency confirming the level of your award and also confirming that you have been assessed as having a permanent and substantial impairment which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking. You must enclose the original of this letter as proof of entitlement.
If you have lost this letter, then the agency can be contacted via the free-phone enquiry number: 0800 169 22 77.

Severe walking difficulties.
Severe upper limb disabilities who regularly drive a vehicle but cannot turn a steering by hand (even if fitted with a turning knob).

If none of the above apply you, you may be eligible for a Blue Badge upon completion of a medical certificate by your G.P. or a qualified health professional. Please note this may incur a charge from your G.P.

What you need to supply

Photograph - The photograph can be provided electronically to the local authority in the form of a jpg.

The photograph must have a strong definition between face and background and must be;
• in colour;
• 45 millimetres in height and 35 millimetres in width (passport size);
• taken within a month prior to the date of the application;
• against a light grey or cream background;
• undamaged;
• free from “red eye”, shadows, reflection or glare from spectacles;
• of the full head of the holder (without any other person visible or any covering, unless it is worn for religious beliefs or medical reasons);
• facing forward;
• with nothing covering the face;
• looking straight at the camera;
• with a neutral expression and mouth closed;
• with eyes open and clearly visible (without sunglasses or tinted spectacles and without hair or spectacle    frames obscuring the eyes);
• in sharp focus and clear;
• printed professionally or in digital format;
• a true likeness, without amendment

Proof Address - You need to supply proof of your address. For this you must provide a council tax bill, bearing your name and dated within the past 12 months, or ensure you tick the box allowing us to check the council tax database, electoral register and school records (for those applying aged 16 or under)

Proof Identity - We need to check your identity to reduce the potential for fraudulent applications for a Blue Badge. You must attach a photocopy of one of the following as proof of your identity. Passport, Driving license, Birth Certificate, Marriage/Divorce Certificate, Civil Partnership/Dissolution Certificate.

Declarations - At the back of the form there are a number of declarations. Please tick all relevant boxes to indicate that you have read and understood each declaration. Not ticking one of these declarations will mean we are unable to issue you with a Blue Badge. Providing fraudulent information may result in prosecution and a fine

Evidence - If you have answered ‘Yes’ to any question in the Automatic Criteria section of the form, you must provide a copy of the relevant piece of evidence.

Check Info - Please ensure you check all details on the application form, and fill in any missing parts. If you fail to tell us about any incorrect information before we process your badge, and we have to print a replacement you will be charged a £10 fee

How long is a blue badge valid?
Your Blue Badge will be valid for three years from the date issued. Please note in some cases the Blue Badge will expire in accordance with your entitlement evidence.

To renew your Blue Badge you will need to follow the application process again.

Where do I return my application?
Blue Badge Scheme
Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
Civic Centre
Ebbw Vale
Gwent, NP23 6XB

Free Hotline to report fraudulent use of Blue Badges

Blaenau Gwent Council urges people to use a FREE new Hotline to report fraudulent use of Blue Badges.

You can also report misuse of Disabled Parking Bays.
Simply call 0800 587 3139 with any information you have

Contact Information

For further information please contact

Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council
 Civic Centre
 Ebbw Vale
 Gwent, NP23 6XB

Tel: (01495) 311556